Wednesday 27 April 2005

Just a quotation today - enjoy

I am immersed in the study of the Philosophy of Religion today - and therefore chasing myself in a circle with logical arguments for the existence of God, when I have no idea if faith was ever intended to prove a thing. :) The 'argument from experience' probably is the most faulty in the philosophical sense... but points the most to the truth. We never 'know' - we can only respond in hope. It is all about worship in the end. (Development of this soon, you may be sure.) I shall leave you with a quotation (not philosophical, but one that seems to show some experience of the divine) for the day.

From Mechtild of Magdeburg:
The fish will never drown within the tide,
Nor birds fall from the air on which they ride.
The flame will not corrode or blacken gold,
For fire burns it pure and clean,
Giving it a shining colour.
To all His creatures God has granted
To live according to their nature.
How then could I deny my breath and bone?
In all things I submit to God alone,
Who is my father by nature,
Who is my brother by his humanhood,
Who is my bridegroom by his love,
And from the outset I am all His own.

Gloriana creeps off to read a volume which questions whether God has a nature... and another which maintains that the nature of God is to exist...

No comments: