Thursday 25 February 2010

Wisdom on a bookmark

The catalogue from the Scriptorium of the All Saints' Sisters of the Poor in Maryland is a treat in itself - their greeting cards, bookmarks, and holy cards all the more so. I was introduced to their work when a friend sent me an assortment of cards (which I often used for bookmarks - but too often, to my later regret, gave away). Some of their cards are especially beautiful in design, or have great charm (for example, a priest in cassock, cotta, and stole standing in a rainstorm and blessing some little animals - with the calligraphy proclaiming, "Circumstances simply do not count; we come to give rather than to receive"), or are witty in verse or picture. Yet one of the simplest I found striking in its message, and decided to share with you today.

To escape criticism:
Say nothing.
Do nothing.
Be nothing!


Frustrating, even maddening, though it is, I have learnt that there is nothing anyone can do (however good or outstanding - I'm not referring to crimes or scandal here) which will not provoke criticism from someone. I'm sure those who won the Nobel or Pulitzer prizes not only had opposition to their views but muttering about how they must have had too much time on their hands (to be able to have such accomplishments.) Every choice one makes in life (from something as stupid as which dress to wear today, to what state of life one embraces, to what university subject one studies) always will be 'wrong' in the minds of some others (and one will be told.)

I've known this for ages, of course. Yet I blush to admit that to this day I either (1) find that I am defending myself (even after decades of knowing this not only is worthless but only inspires the 'critic' to further glory), (2) wish I could defend myself (this is especially idiotic, because I know I owe no defence to anyone, or (3) depending on the matter, when my usual "that is none of your business" fails, find myself responding with such off the cuff comments as "play the ego game with someone else, bitch", for all that I know I'll regret that within the hour (however accurate my assessment is)... or at least by the time I say Evening Prayer.

However, there is one fortunate trait of mine which I would encourage others to consider. I may hate the condescension of those who perpetually criticise (and their name is Legion), but it never changes my decisions or the manner in which I live. (Note to those, especially the young, who may read this - if you are looking for such things as prosperity, popularity, and acceptance, don't try this in public... I've never been anything but broke. I have my share of talents and an impressive collection of degrees... all, of course, in 'useless' subjects. Those who do not understand irony who write me about my supposed bad self-esteem will receive ten thousand years in purgatory. Kindly remember that, especially during Lent, one may recall what happened to Jesus of Nazareth and his Twelve - even the ultimate goodness, let alone our flimsy efforts, does not guarantee universal acceptance...)

I'll close with my favourite of all the quotes on the All Saints Sisters' cards - it's framed on my fridge, and I wish to have it on my memorial card when I die:
"They drew a circle that cast me out,
Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout.
But love and I had the wit to win.
We drew a circle that took them in."




No comments: