Saturday 28 February 2009

If you are the Son of God...

The link in the title is to a previous post of mine entitled Peasant, Nuisance, Nobody - a description which, uncharacteristically, I borrowed from John Dominic Crossan, because he did have a point. That these terms apply equally well to me as to our Saviour is purely coincidental.

I'm afraid I am rather irritable at the moment (more so than as always), because I cannot shake a flu I've been fighting for the past few weeks. It was one of those strains which brought chills, shivers, aches, and then, just as that seemed to be improving, catarrh which is making me almost (though not quite) glad that I am not singing anywhere at the moment. One of the worst parts is stumbling weak and weary - I find that, halfway through anything, my head is bobbing. Fortunately, I did get to the Ash Wednesday liturgy, which was glorious. It's almost worth being a sinner to hear that Allegri Miserere. (I did laugh when someone who came in asked an usher where one goes 'just to get ashed,' and laughed the louder later when a friend more versed in slang told me that those who 'get ashed' usually do so at a pub.) I made the most of the day, happily stumbling on some very cheap, canned escargots which were quite delightful paired with garlic butter, mushrooms, and spinach. Still, I am rather sad because, if the weather tomorrow is anything to match the weatherman's predictions, I probably will not be able to chance going out to the Eucharist - I'm not about to have a relapse of any earlier stages of this flu.

Before I begin the next section, I shall mention, for the benefit of my more sensitive readers (some of whom are fine with saying "Blessed be Jesus Christ, True God and True Man" at Benediction, but who become uneasy when Jesus is mentioned as a man... and here I mean 'as fully human,' since I'm too damned tired to argue with those who dislike 'sexist language'), that there is not the least question in my mind that Jesus is divine, Second Person of the Trinity, the Logos, the Lord of the Universe and the Redeemer of the world - and I'm not suggesting there was any time during his short earthly life that this was not true. (I also am too tired now to explain the difference between my saying 'timeless' where some of you may prefer 'everlasting' ... take your pick.) Yet I do believe that, in fully assuming humanity, Jesus accepted the same limitations as would be in your life or mine. I believe, with many orthodox scholars today, that Jesus of Nazareth indeed grew in knowledge of his own identity and his unique relationship to the Father - even if I like imagery of cherry trees bowing down at his command when he was still in the womb.

I believe that this Sunday's gospel deals with Jesus' temptations in the desert. All of us have heard that passage (and sermons on the topic) many times - and it can take a moment to step outside the bounds which familiarity can bring and see how Jesus was facing his full identity and mission at this point. As most of us constantly experience (though, sadly, we sin where He did not), he was tempted to idolatry, despair, a sense of futility, fear of his prophetic vocation, a wish for and display of power.

If I may be permitted to indulge my playful, literary side for a moment, I always do smile a bit at Jesus' having been shown the kingdoms of this world. Yes, I know my history, and am not suggesting that the Almighty accomplished this by reaching down and pushing a button (...hardly an option considering he created us with free will..), but it never ceases to amaze me that, within a very short time after the death and resurrection of this 'peasant, nuisance nobody,' vast, powerful kingdoms and empires would have an astonishing number of Christians. Greek Fathers would be applying philosophy to the great theology of Israel (which, of course, was never a major world power, let alone an empire.) Antioch, Alexandria, Ephesus, Gaul - incredible. I can very easily picture Satan taunting Jesus with, "You can't seriously expect that Egyptians will ever go for any of that business about your being equal to your Father? Who is going to ponder that Trinity business - the Greeks!? And wouldn't it be laughable to imagine that your message is ever going to have any effect in Rome?" Much as these nations would remain largely pagan for quite some time, they equally were Christian strongholds within a few centuries or less - a blink in the eye of history.

I've been blessed with a most insightful spiritual director, and am fairly confident that he would not mind my sharing a few ideas he has taught me (again, and again, and again... one of these days, I just might get it...) Jesus' own lifetime mission was to Israel, but his apostles would carry his message to those who often had worshipped the old gods. The evil one and the old gods have only the existence we create for them - they are born of the envy, frustration, fear and rage which we generate by our fascination with things others seem to have which we do not perceive ourselves as having. Idolatry is grandiose ingratitude - denial that we have enough, or that God loves us.

My director also introduced me to the brilliant works of James Alison, who reminds us that Jesus became the scapegoat to undo the power of scapegoating as the religious mechanism it was in the old religions - and to expose the power of powerlessness on the Cross.

I may get back to this once I stop needing to huddle under blankets as these shivers recur... but I'll leave you with a little thought. Jesus' temptations were to a form of idolatry. It's fortunate he left us with that sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving - because we all learn, every day, that those two elements are our only defence against creating 'old gods' of our own.

No comments: