Tuesday 25 April 2006

Gospel of Judas and the like

Christ is Risen!

I am so bogged down with revisions for exams that I am sure none of you will mind if you hear from the Archbishop of Canterbury rather than myself for the moment. Click the link in the title to read his excellent sermon, "Doubtful Mysteries blind us to real faith."

Here is a brief excerpt, referring to the holy gospels:
When the Jesus of the Gospels comes back from the dead, he doesn’t go and crow over his enemies, he meets his friends and tells them to get out there and talk about him — about what his life and death have made possible, about forgiveness, making peace, being honest about yourself, checking the temptation to judge and condemn, tackling your selfishness at the root, praying simply and trustingly.

This is flesh and blood. It’s not about exotic mysteries. It is about how God makes it possible for us to live a life that isn’t paralysed by guilt, aggression and pride. It asks us to come down to earth and face what’s wrong with us. Is it surprising that some people found this too direct, too in-your-face to cope with? No wonder they preferred to go on about the names of angels and the secrets of how the world began.

Let’s ask ourselves why we’re sometimes more comfortable with such stories about conspiracies and stories about mystical gurus. Is it perhaps because when we turn to what the Bible actually says, Jesus challenges us pretty seriously? What if this is a story we haven’t really listened to before? And what if everything could be different because of this particular story?


Since I may not be writing much these next few weeks, I cannot resist linking to:


They may not be my best, but I cannot resist quoting myself at times. :-)

I wish you a blessed Easter season.

No comments: