Monday 16 January 2006

A new planet!

It appears that a tenth planet has been found. I'm all excited - the heavens (perpetually, of course, telling the glory of God) fascinate me. Unlike my co-contributors, whose sites give ample evidence of abilities in science, I never had any flair for that subject. (That is putting it mildly.) Yet, for me, various scientific topics are wonderful starting points for meditation.

I am totally fascinated by the solar system. Some years ago, right after all of the Voyager explorations took place (these were pre-Internet days, for which I'm grateful because I'd rather curl up with books than computers), my sister and her family gave me three Christmas presents I'll always treasure - books about the solar system, which contained the Voyager photographs. I was not too enthralled with the technical information (I'm not technically gifted, and need a diagram to unwrap soap), but I nearly blasted off into unitive prayer just gazing at the surface of Mars, the rings of Saturn, the grandeur of Neptune and Jupiter. The discovery of many new moons on those journeys had me off on a cloud thinking of how very little we know of creation, and how our Earth is such a tiny part of its vastness.

It is not only the planets which give me scientific thrills. :) I know that the common idea is that only children are mad about dinosaurs, yet I'd defy any kid to have the fascination with them that I have. (I once held a T. rex's tooth! It was as big as my forearm.) Again, I am reminded of the limitless power of the Creator - and of the limitations of our knowledge. Amazing that these creatures ruled the planet, as it were, millions of years before mankind existed... and for far longer than we can begin to fathom, latecomers that we are.

Oh, this gets worse... I once was all but transported to the seventh mansion, looking at a representation of the DNA molecule. :)

Well, I must take a better look at the site to which I linked. If I ever get started reading that page in another window, the blog will crash the server... considering that one planet's set of moons are named for Shakespeare characters... another's for the gods of ancient mythology...

No comments: