Friday 30 December 2005

"New Year, New You!"

One of these days, an article so entitled shall deal with transformation in Christ - perhaps deification. It is only then that I shall not grit my teeth at what follows.

Honestly, has no one a mind, heart, or soul any longer? I just was visiting an Internet forum, where someone began a thread entitled "hopes and dreams for 2006." Based on past perusal of such threads, I suppose I should not be surprised that the only constant wish was to lose weight or begin an exercise programme. (..sigh... I'm glad I don't know them. If that is their only topic of conversation, what a blasted crowd of bores they all must be.) But what troubled me the more was that the few poor souls (such as myself) who posted a wish for more intellectual stimulation, spiritual growth, and social contact were 'reassured' that the others had fostered stronger friendships by joining others for racquetball (where they used to waste time on such nonsense as concerts, plays, and museums), and by 'encouraging' each other in 'healthy lifestyles.'

As Thomas Aquinas, Pope John, and I know all too well, ascetic practises (fasting included) do not guarantee one will appear to meet standards of 'health and fitness.' Yet they work - in ways which matter far more.

My advice to those looking to become a 'new you' (hate that expression and the money-making schemes behind it - what's wrong with the genuine 'you'?) would be to turn to such wisdom as that of John Cassian. Thoughts and actions can bring us closer to God and neighbour or be distractions.

Anyone for metanoia?

Briefly yours this once, I wish everyone blessings for the last day of 2005.

No comments: