Saturday 10 December 2005

Let us raise a toast to Father Christmas!

Yes, indeed I do believe in Santa Claus. Not that I expect some jolly man to descend the chimney (which I do not have) and leave me a host of lavish presents (...though I suppose I keep hoping.) Yet I believe the spirit of merry-making, giving, enjoyment and feasting which were part of the approaching Christmas season could stand quite a bit of reviving.

Before I proceed, I cannot resist referencing an item I saw today (it was a day when I was bewailing a lack of mince pies and mulled wine in my flat, so I was searching for rather silly Christmas sites). This is from the FAQ at the delightful Santa Claus.com, which has a facility for e-mailing the distinguished man himself.

"What kind of milk should I leave out?

Occasionally kids ask if Santa is lactose intolerant so they know what kind of milk to leave out, and the answer is that "no," Santa likes all kinds of milk and has no intolerances, so any types are fine and greatly appreciated! The only type of milk Santa will probably not drink is buttermilk, although he will use it in cakes.

Mrs. Claus prefers me to drink cold fat free (aka skim) milk, because of the health benefits; however I like to drink all the kinds of milk listed except buttermilk."

All right - I'll concede that I laughed when I read this. (I personally think my aunt's kids had a better idea. They left out two whiskeys - one for Santa Claus, and one for their father.) Yet it does make me shake my head. Kids worried about lactose intolerance and health benefits of skim milk... I suppose, with all the current emphasis on the obesity epidemic, the man whom Clement Moore described as heavy must be certain the kids know he is very fit. Elsewhere, there was a reference to his exercise...

Getting back on track... There is an Internet forum on which I participate which is quite interesting many times, but I cannot stand the Calvinist/ Jansenist guilt trips as Christmas approaches. At what season would it be better to celebrate, enjoying not only the reality of the Incarnation but the sacramental (yes, I think it deserves that distinction) love which we mortals share with one another? But no... the participants (who, from the tone of their wailing and gnashing of teeth, are far more prosperous than my family ever was) want to eliminate gifts, feasts, take their children to a homeless shelter to show them how good they have it... the lot. They'll all be moaning that they are 'too comfortable' and a 'drain on the earth's resources.'

I daresay that Dickens (for all of his misery in life), having Scrooge look back on Fezziwig's party today, would have to make reference to those who ruined it stating they were on Weight Watchers, 'had to drive,' could not bear to dance with all the wars going on in this world, and who could not bear to open their presents because "people should give it to charity, where it would at least be useful."

Why do people so fear the love and generosity which we can show to those who are dear to us? It always was a Calvinist thing - I daresay the Puritans are turning in their graves that Christmas is celebrated at all, pagan feast that it is, and a day for the working classes to not be productive. (Those who think Scrooge is a cartoonish miser have not taken a look at those around them... he is alive and well, and not at all likely to have been visited by the three spirits.) But it seems to be infecting even the Catholic sorts today.

I'm sorry to see this. Yes, I could write a missive on the Incarnation, but I've decided to instead raise a glass to Father Christmas. The Christmas season, in effect, gave people permission to treat one another well without fear of being suspected of selfish motives. Co-workers would share a drink - friends (yes, even those of us who were relatively poor) would exchange little pressies. I'd love a mulled wine and mince pie now... though, at the moment, there is no one with whom I can share one (the cat gets rather irritable if I give her too much wine.)

We know little of the real Saint Nicholas - but he is remembered for generosity, providing dowries for girls who would not have been able to marry otherwise. (Please do not e-mail me on male domination and patriarchy...) I dare say those on the forum would have told Nicholas to tell them to be resigned to their lot, embrace 'single life as vocation,' or forget it all and go off to see how much less fortunate the lepers were.

I am not in the least callous towards those who are desperately poor, the victims or war, or otherwise in dreadful situations! But is the caring we show those we love, the little remembrances, the pleasant shared meals, the time in the pub, not valuable in itself? Should enjoying the goods of this earth, and showing love and gratitude to others, be feared?

Let us not forget to have true holidays! The man who turned water into wine would, I am sure, agree that the goods of this earth, and our intercourse with others, is to be celebrated. (Jesus must have done enough of it for his detractors to complain about it so much... and spare me the business about how this was purely 'table fellowship' to foreshadow the Eucharist!)

At this stage of my life, as in my childhood, I do not have many material things, though I am fortunate to have the basic necessities of life. All the more do I appreciate and enjoy the little treats! I doubt those who post on the forum are correct in thinking that everyone is awash in materialism - in fact, I would guess that children (today as when I was young) never once stop and think "why did Santa give me only small things, when others got large ones?" (Most kids would love to play with a box...) The other side of loving one's presents, as I do indeed, is gratitude. At what season is this more appropriate?

So, I raise my glass to Father Christmas! Salud! Cheers! And may one of the last sounds to die out on this earth be that of laughter, merriment, and the warm words of friends who have at least one time each year when they are not ashamed to thank God for one another.

1 comment:

Father Gregory said...

Cheers indeed Santa Niklaus! .... and keep the happiness of your misery to yourself all you curmudgeons!