Thursday 20 October 2005

Six weeks to Advent... getting into my Father Christmas mode

Anyone care to set my ire in motion? (No, I hardly thought anyone would, nor is that difficult...) It truly bothers me when adults shrug off the season of celebrating the Incarnation with "Christmas is for children." Nonsense - what do children know of the Incarnation? I suppose that those who say this are remembering (probably from afar, and through 'rose coloured glasses') when, so far as they recall, they were joyously awaiting some special present on Christmas morning.

I have no such fond memories of Christmas morning. For reasons unknown, somehow our house was the one which ended up with a few relatives who would have tried the patience of Job. I loved the season, the more because it meant a holiday from school, but loathed Christmas Day. This does not keep me from being a total Christmas nut.

I have a collection of lovely ornaments, to which I've added since the early 1970s, and my little tree, renaissance angel, and other items are the pride of my heart. I buy my Christmas cards very early, and used to letter scripture verses on the edges of the envelopes (until I sadly realised that many people just toss cards into a basket.) I've had a few very happy Christmases during my adult years, and I love everything about the season... when I can find what I care for..

Just today, I was looking online, planning to order some special return address labels. What has happened? Everything looked exceedingly childish and in very poor taste. Labels were decorated either with drawings that an infant might have produced - cartoon characters - all sorts of weird animals. Religious scenes (in good taste - not what looks like a kindergarten pageant) would be my preference, though Victorian designs, scenes from Dickens, and so forth would be acceptable.

You may grumble that I am looking in October. Well, in my days as a musician, November meant many rehearsals and Advent concerts. I still plan early (though I do not decorate until very near 'the day.') Not to mention that saving things for Advent would mean my ire may be all the worse for the fasting.

So, here, as my act of humility for today, is a totally useless post.

No comments: