Monday 29 June 2009

Ah, where links can take one!

Be forewarned that this is one of my more disassociated posts. Still, by chance I saw material on two Internet sites today that, being connected to worship and sacrament, led me to a few loose associations.

First, I urge my readers, who share my conviction that healthy laughter at Her own expense is of huge value to our Holy Mother Church , to check out the video, under the heading of the General Convention, at the Edge of Enclosure site. I'm tempted to comment at length, but don't want to spoil its impact by doing so. Suffice it to say that, good friend of the Prayer Book that I am, it gave me the best laugh of the week.

On a more serious but highly puzzled note (...and, Lord, a few of you will hate this even more than the video...), I was surprised to read, in The Tablet, that Pope Benedict is urging priests to return to the pious ways of Saint John Vianney. His Holiness surprises me, because I believe he is one of the best theologians of the past century - and neither Jean-Marie Vianney nor Padre Pio is a theologian of any kind (in fact, the former would not be noted for academic ability.)

I find sacramental confession to be extremely valuable, though I'm not one for the 'express queue', since I prefer genuine guidance. (It is difficult to find - and, in case anyone hasn't noticed, I have needed quite a bit in my day.) I am sorry to see that availability and interest in this sacrament has declined, though, if the reason is that it was quite 'rote' in the past, it is no loss for those who had that approach. Yet, had I turned to Jean Vianney - who was the sort who excommunicated penitents over a long term for such 'evils' as dancing, and kept having them return until he'd give them absolution - I would have then turned in the other direction.

Benedict dedicated the coming year to the priesthood - and I am glad of this, because ordained ministry needs more esteem and understanding. (It is sad that the idea of the 'universal call to holiness,' which to my knowledge not only was always a part of Christian belief, and, in Judaism and other traditions, was an old idea when Rome was young, made it taboo to speak of ordained ministry and consecrated life, lest this be seen as 'denial' of the 'universal call' - or of the only vocation's being baptism.) Yet I must find out why such a great theologian held up those two priests, saints though they are, as models for the clergy.

Brief for once - I send all of you blessings for the feast of Peter and Paul.

No comments: