Friday 27 June 2008

I'm not too 'chicken' to say this

I have been known to have an above average concern for social justice - but loathe political correctness. So, I'll 'confess' a few things no one today should admit. For example, I hate water and never drink any. I watch television if there is something I really want to see, but never watch news broadcasts unless I see an online headline which tells me that some major story is worth pursuing. I love the arts, and, if I say I went to see an exhibit, play, or concert, it is not a plea of "get me away from this destructive lifestyle, and convince me to chuck the arts and go play racquetball instead!" And (drum roll, please) I care far more about myself and other people who are not 'of means' having nourishing food on our plates than about whether chickens are free range.

I suppose many of you read of this week's battle between Tesco and supporters of the feathered population. (I'll not expound much here, but there have been previous matters which gave me a less than warm opinion of Tesco's policies... because of how they treated employees, not because one could obtain chicken and eggs at a more reasonable cost than elsewhere.) I somehow remembered when my grocer father participated in a demonstration on behalf of those employed in a factory where those at the top treated the chickens better than the people. I applaud Sam's participation - but he was demonstrating on behalf of the employees, not the chickens. He knew well what it was to try to house and feed a family. My own turn of mind may be more philosophical, but I'll be concerned if any company's low prices mean their staff are treated as if they were slaves.

I have lost no sleep in my life worrying about the quality of life of chickens. I am inclined to doubt that chickens have the degree of reason, reflection, and will which would lead them to ponder their quality of life. (Actually, when it comes to the animal kingdom - and, no, I shall not amend that to say 'non human' - I think few people have a quality of life to match that of my cat - but, when my other, desperately ill cat was suffering, I sent her to the Rainbow Bridge without thinking it was a murder.)

As my readers know well, I have a passion for theology, and have studied it in great depth, especially in recent years. I have been privileged to pursue the work of many great theologians and philosophers, most of which is very enriching. Yet I am bored to tears with the inevitable references to 'the non human.' Supposedly, even the concept of the human soul is elitist, and used to condemn the non human population.

At the moment, I am rather immersed in moral theology, and much is intriguing. Yet it is very difficult to sift the best of the contemporary writings when consideration of ethics and morals has to be padded with comments to ensure that no one assumes superiority on the part of the human.

I have a serious concern for stewardship of the earth, and a Franciscan awe for all of creation. But I do not understand how any theological speculation or doctrine (dear Lord, what will this do to your Incarnation?) can make the slightest sense if it has to be twisted to ensure one does not offend dolphins.

I'm now off to prepare a spinach omelette, adding to my grace before meals the thanksgiving for those who produced and sold the provisions (as always) - and further thanking God that the fairly reasonable cost of 'barned' eggs makes it possible for those of my class to get in a bit of protein each day.

No comments: