Friday 1 June 2007

All these I have observed from my youth...

Much as I sometimes enjoy participating on a theology forum (even if half the contributors seem more self absorbed than otherwise), I sigh whenever anyone makes reference to the incident of Jesus and the Rich Young Man. Discussions on that passage always lead to the usual "let me feel guilt rather than gratitude" diversions, ending with "we are just too comfortable..."

I had another thought, and one which may be far more realistic if less dramatic. It is not that I think the rich don't have that eye of the needle about which to be concerned, because all too much wealth was acquired through the suffering of others, injustice, even crime. (I do not see sanctity as necessarily all that easy for the poor, either, for some reason... maybe it's obvious.) Yet I doubt that Jesus was suggesting that everyone had to sell all he had and give it to the poor to achieve salvation. I believe it was aimed at the particular, smug little bastard to whom he was speaking.

Notice how, when RYM asked what he had to do to inherit eternal life, and Jesus mentioned the commandments (Lord, how banal...) :) , the young man replied that he'd observed all of them for his entire life. Now, that indeed would be quite an accomplishment - and it is a statement which, coming from anyone other than Jesus himself (who, being perfect in all virtues including humility, would find no need to mention), is an excellent example of when self absorption masquerades as self esteem. What did he expect Jesus to do? (Notice how, unlike most approaching Jesus, he was not asking for forgiveness or healing.) Declare the future of Judaism saved, open a bottle of champagne, and give him Swedish massage?

Jesus did have a very broad, Semitic sense of humour now and then - but I suppose he knew that this was one case where the RYM would not have caught the irony in "I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance." Why bother? What repentance would be necessary for someone who'd managed to observe the commandments since his youth - and who had no reticence about advertising the fact?

No comments: