Saturday 5 May 2007

Creativity reigns - Essay in memory of Leonora

My cat, Leonora, and her cyberspouse, Lemieux, both have gone to the Rainbow Bridge during the past few years. In her memory, and, it is hoped, for the delight of other cat lovers, I should like to reproduce an essay which Leonora composed when she was a regular contributor to the (now sadly defunct) CLAW: For Cats Who Reign site. So, here is Leonora's "Creativity Reigns."

It is common knowledge amongst us kitties that we are so incredibly adorable that the world is our oyster. What may not be generally known is that we literary types constantly spin tails (excuse me, tales) in our imaginative minds, and that this can lead to some odd situations. I shall relate a few from my own experience.

In adventure mode, I was climbing to the top of Mount Everest. Slowly I moved upward, the massive peak becoming ever more perilous to scale ... the many obstacles cleared with my avid paw... Upward, upward ... eager to plant the CLAW flag at the summit...Just then, the Christmas tree toppled to the ground, and I was fortunate to get away with only a few minor scrapes and a bad case of jitters.

When the fantasy plot beckoned, I became Morgan le Fey, lost in fairy enchantment. Yes, I must lead Arthur to the Grail! Ah, let me summon the Sight - I must look for direction in the lake ... so I peered into its swirling depths .

Had anyone flushed, I would have found myself exploring the topography of the sewer.

Another time, I was a fearless explorer, who a time machine had transported to the age of the dinosaurs. I entered a darkened cave (knocking over the set of Shakespeare which I wouldn't notice because Shakespeare was not to see the light of day for many millions of years after my journey.) I peered into the abundant foliage outside the cage, caught the reflection of the light on the ponds (which had something much like my treats on its surface), nobly looked upon the landscape for the first sight of apatosaurus and triceratops (I mix periods without qualm). Suddenly, I heard the thundering steps of the T-rex - and my ample body became as a streak of light flashing through the sky!

It was only my bratty "cousin", Mums's four-year-old niece, showing off her new Barbie shoes, but the general effect, on a slightly neurotic kitty, was devastating.

Creativity reigns - but no one remembers to tell that it gets one in much trouble now and then!

Leonora also composed this poem, written from the point of view of a d*g:

Jabbering, drooling, and snapping at naught,
Longing for approval when I do what I ought,
Inwardly, I indulge a secret wish ...
Though I slobber, and pant, and beg at my dish.
I long to be elegant, long for thoughts sublime,
Wish independence of thought could be mine.
I submit to the humans, indeed, I shall beg,
Indiscriminate in taste, I snuggle every leg.
Yet for all of ugly behaviour, at that,
Deep within my heart of hearts,
...I long to be a cat.

I think Francis of Assisi would have permitted one to imagine that one meets one's pets in the afterlife - so, RIP, my elegant feline couple, till we meet again at the Rainbow Bridge. I'd like to think that Leonora and Lemieux are pulling the goddess Freya's chariot right now.

No comments: