Tuesday 6 June 2006

That might be worth a lot of money...

I am a bit embarrassed. With both the Ascension and Pentecost having been celebrated within the past few weeks, I should like to produce a wonderful reflection of some sort. But my mind still is not in gear... I think I'm still recovering from finding that Mirielle (my cat) broke my collectible Catherine of Aragon doll.

Recently, a member of an Internet forum on which I participate had asked for suggestions from others who had moved house recently. (I did so last summer.) I am hoping that my advice was useful. First, I suggested she look through items she's been saving, and (based on their condition) either discard or donate those which she had not used in 20 years (or had never used at all.) Second, and this is more important, do not let anyone you know have any hint that you have discarded or donated anything, anywhere. The aggravation of moving is difficult enough without having everyone you know (including those who have never seen a computer) insist that anything with which you would part would be worth a lot of money if you sold it over the Internet.

What is it, in the nature of some, which thrills to make others think that they have made the wrong decisions? Oh, you know the sort. Mention anything you purchased, and this type will insist you were charged too much - 'you should have told me - I could have found you the same item at half the price.' (Note that never have they actually done so, though this line is a recurring disease.) Most people in this category begin many sentences with either "You should have" or "I would have." The Internet has opened an entire new world of possibilities. It matters not that the item in your hand is identical to one which has been in the window of a charity shop for the past 18 months, unsold though the price is tiny. The book into which you have not so much as peeked since your school days has secondhand copies on Amazon.com for sale beginning at a price of a penny. Your mother's pots were not worth much in the first place, and have been obsolete since around the time of V-E day. But the busybody will assure you that you could get a lot of money for it if you sold it on the Internet.

If you listen to their advice, by the way, you will find that, with moving day very close, you will end up having to pay a substantial amount for someone to cart away all the stuff for which you'd hoped to get this fortune...

As a postscript, I must add that busybodies, more than any other breed, will insist they wish to help you (1) find the new home and (2) complete the actual moving. Wrong move, I assure you. They will be sure to tell you that you are buying property in the wrong area - that, if you are buying, you would have a better deal renting (and vice versa) - that rural properties are appreciating at a higher percentage (even if your tastes run to anything other than the rural) - etc., etc. It does not matter if you are very happy with your decision. The people who use these tactics thrive on getting others to question their own judgement.

Now, why do I mention this on a site which is basically concerned with spirituality? Because, however one lives their spiritual lives, there will be many who either think the spiritual life in itself is illusion or a waste, or who have a better way for one to pursue the path. Listening to them is a distraction and therefore a waste of time.

...and I have a first edition of Newman's Grammar of Assent... I'm sure that I could get a lot for that on E-bay...

No comments: