Thursday 2 February 2006

World Day for Consecrated Life

I could not find a writing of Papa Benedict's on this subject as yet, but know that John Paul II always had special homilies for this, the Feast of the Presentation, the anniversary of the Vatican II decree, Perfectae Caritas. This is not likely to be one of my witty posts, though I certainly hope that arises. I mentioned John Paul's attention to consecrated life because this is an area (just as with liturgy... though I'll save that for another day) where what 'came from Rome' often had little resemblance to that with which one might be confronted locally.

The Roman Catholic Church (in particular - this is not to minimise the value of consecrated life from all traditions) was blessed with a rich, large heritage of religious families (paraphrasing Perfectae Caritas a bit.) As well, and this since the earliest centuries of the Church, there have been those who have not lived in community but lived a vowed life, whether hermits or, for example, those with rather extensive concerns outside of a hermitage, such as Catherine of Siena. Little is written about the theology of consecrated life today, and I believe this is a great loss. The life of committed chastity, poverty, obedience, and (in some cases) stability or enclosure witnesses to the Church's eschatological hope. Those dedicated to a life of prayer and service (even if the service is the prayer) witness to that there is more to this world than the wonders of creation and the love we share with one another.

It always amazes me how single sentences or paragraphs from Vatican documents, excellent in themselves, can lead to unexpected distortion. Vatican II would speak of the "universal call to holiness," I am sure with no intention of this meaning that, in the coming decades, those in vowed life would feel they had to minimise the mention of their consecration lest this be taken to mean they were claiming that others are not holy! (Incidentally, very few Sisters and Brothers fall into the trap of thinking that they themselves are holy... and one day I'll tell you my memories of some of those who did...)

I have poured over volumes of theology, much of it mystic and ascetic, for three decades or more. It is beyond me how anyone could think the call to holiness ever was not recognised as univeral. In fact, in the part of my library reserved for old devotional books (inherited from priests.... at this stage of my life, I wish some had left me a bit of gold...), there are many volumes, the sort which married ladies may have carried in their pockets, which speak of sanctifying the actions of daily life.

Somehow, people have become very defensive. The 'active laity,' whose contribution always was valuable (and this before they could distribute Communion), will often take offence at any mention of, for example, a woman's entering a convent, as if this implied their married lives were second rate. Nonsense - but, sadly, Religious, fearful of offending them or of not offering what the Church 'wants now,' spoke only of their work or 'corporate identity.'

The other side of this, of course, is that, implicitly, Religious were being told that their own lives were not of any real value. If 'the only vocation is baptism' - well, what value in a vowed life? I'm not ever surprised by to what I am led by Google searches, but when I see documents which give the impression that the vocation of a Religious is solely to work against "the oppression of women," or writings of Religious which make it seem positive for religious congregations to die out, or articles by priests who resigned from active ministry which make it seem that they are superior to active priests because they recognised a higher "theology of marriage," it makes me very sad.

I would imagine that the general opinion towards those entering religious life always has been wonder over whether they were crackers, and I have no reason to believe this has changed. Yet I would feel especially sad for those on this path today. It will be assumed that they have a poor 'theology of marriage,' or that they have mental problems, or that they want security... Lord knows what else, because the pat answers authors seek for why there was a mass exodus thirty years ago can be used against those embracing consecrated life today.

May I ask my readers to join me in prayer that a renewed recognition of the blessings of vowed life, and of the contribution it makes to the kingdom of God, will be forthcoming. (Then, if you're good, I'll tell you plenty of convent stories.)

No comments: