Tuesday 24 May 2005

Trinity

Behold the Lamb of God - this is my Beloved Son - the Spirit descended as a dove - the Comforter shall come - Go ye, therefore, and teach all nations, baptising them in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.

I have read volumes on the Trinity, from the Cappadocians to Augustine to Karl Rahner, and much of it was brilliant. Yet what can more remind us of how love and worship reach out from the creature to the Creator, without any way of humanly expressing the truth, than the concept of the Trinity? It is the ultimate example of how what one knows and expresses in doxology cannot be explained in sermon or essay. I love the writings of Gregory of Nyssa on the subject, for example, because they lend to prayer - yet, from a 'rational' standpoint, they verge on the tritheistic.

This week, on a discussion forum, I read a thread about how to prepare a Sunday sermon, aimed at children, on the topic of the Trinity. There were various images suggested - my favourite being that of a yolk, white, and shell all making up one egg. :)

Well, I am hardly going to attempt any sort of 'sermon' on the topic here. Yet this I am coming to know in the life of prayer. Ultimately, the action of praise is all that we can offer. It was all that the first Christians could do - yet, within a generation, the Church had grasped the reality of the Trinity - knowledge which came from worship.

I would ask any reader to pray for me today - I have been in a rather difficult time, and I am weary, my mind not quite 'in gear.' Blessed be God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and blessed be His kingdom, now and forever. Almighty and everlasting God, to whom all hearts are open, all desires known, and from whom no secrets are hid, cleanse the thoughts of our heart by the inspiration of your Holy Spirit, that we may perfectly love you and worthily magnify your holy Name, through Christ our Lord, Amen.

No comments: